What were the most useful tips from the resources? (done-skip this)
- Most useful tips were information on how to use canvas, where to get additional help regarding my courses (ex: Buchannan library, learning café etc.). Through my other class, I learned to use how on to record myself and submit a presentation to my classmates, that was a very new learning to me.
- How do you usually communicate with your instructors? How successful have your methods been? Do you need to improve your methods or are you finding success? (done-skip this)
- I mostly communicate with my instructor through canvas emails.
- It was very successful as they were very fast to reply, while I wait for their replies, I used to browse through my other courses, outcomes, schedules, view presentations from other classmates.
- I am finding success as I have became more comfortable on communicating with instructors, now I understand on where to find the correct information regarding the assignments and due dates and course guidelines.
- What other tips have you learned from others? (done – skip this)
- I have mostly learned though the presentations presented by other classmates, such as tips on staying healthy (needing sufficient time for sleep, proper nutrition, exercise etc.) this presentation was very attracting to me as I love gaining information on fitness and wellness.
- What advice would you give to a new student starting out?
- Have you (or someone you know) experienced difficulties communicating with instructors or classmates? If so, explain what happened and suggest a solution. If not, describe a situation in which you had a good communication experience. Explain what skills you used that facilitated good communication.
- What are some of the challenges you have experienced with online communication? List ideas for how you can overcome these challenges.
- What are some strengths of online communication? How can you use these strengths to improve your success in other classes?
- What do you find most challenging about writing assignments? Which resources on the eLearning Café website will be most helpful?
- What are your writing strengths? How can you continue to develop these strengths? How can you apply these strengths to your other courses?
- How does your learning profile impact your communication skills? Give at least one example to support your ideas.
Journal Entry #12: “Temperature Check”
A “Temperature Check” means that you take some time to reflect on your academic progress. It is important to take some time out to consider what is and what is not working for you. This journal entry asks you to take a few minutes and consider how you are doing in this class, as well as your other courses.
A “Temperature Check” also helps your instructor know what supports you need so that you can be directed on how to best access help.
Take a “Temperature Check” now. Reflect on your progress in this and other classes.
Consider the following questions:
- What is going well in your courses? Why? (done-skip this)
- I am happy that I was able to submit all my assignments and tests within the due dates and receive great marks on them. Previously I was left behind on deadlines due to my stress level and my tests anxiety. This semester, I was able to keep control on my stress level.
- What is challenging for you right now? Why? (done-skip this)
- The most challenging I have faced was in one of my courses I had to do video presentations to the entire class. I have not been in a classroom for 8 years. Suddenly coming to a class where I would have to present my work Infront of the classmates whom I don’t know was very challenging for me and still is. It takes me lot of courage to submit those video recordings as it feels very uncomfortable.
- What do you most want to learn to help you succeed in your classes?
- Have you been able to apply learning strategies from this course to your other courses? If so, give an example. If not, explain what information you might need to help you do so.
Journal Entry #13: The Balancing Act
Develop a plan for continued development of successful study strategies, based upon a review of personal learning strengths and challenges
- What mental, physical, spiritual, and emotional challenges do you face as a student? What strategies can help you address these challenges?
- How do you plan to stay healthy? Consider nutrition, exercise, rest, and stress management in your plan.
- How do you plan to balance the other three aspects of your life (the emotional, spiritual, and mental aspects)? What supports/services can help you do so?
- What tips from Trooper Powder or April Short did you find most helpful? Why?
- What is your plan for continued development of successful study strategies and other skills required to succeed at college?
Journal Entry #14: Bringing it All Together
- Reflect on your reasons for starting college. How can you use these reasons to motivate you to succeed in the future?
- I started college because I want to finish my education and get a job in my interested career field. I have struggled 8 years after my graduation from high school. I have been burdened with my family responsibilities. And finally, after all the struggles, I have managed to continue my studies and I am almost about to finish my diploma.
- I can motivate myself to finish the diploma thinking I have come very far, after all the struggles, I am very close to success, I cannot and should not give up when I am near my goals.
- Describe yourself as a learner. What are your learning strengths and challenges? How can you use your strengths to help you overcome your challenges? Provide at least one specific example.
- I am a fast learner. I adopt to environment very quickly and naturally. I love gaining knowledge, open to learning new things everyday and experiencing new environment and cultures.
- List your top five tips for success that you would offer new students? Give a specific example for each.
- Do you have any other advice or comments you would offer to a new student? (done skip this)
- Advice for new students would be to explore canvas as much as possible, it will make things a lot easier. Know your due dates and assignment requirements which makes a huge difference in marks. Plan your homework and in advance and prepare well for your tests.